13 November 2009

My time has been occupied by procrastinating the writing of my two papers due before Thanksgiving. My favorite one is looking at terrorism in failed states with a case study in Somalia (and I've talked about this paper endlessly on here). It truly is fascinating, if a bit depressing, and the few people (namely my parents) who happen to read this blog can expect a full diatribe on the subject to appear here within a few days. I know more than enough on the topic and could possibly see myself using it as part of my graduate thesis. I think my main hesitation in starting to write is that I am using this as one of my writing samples for Oxford. When it comes down to it, it is the writing samples that can make or break your application. If this essay is good enough, it could be what helps me to attain my dream of going to Oxford for graduate school. As such, it is hard for me to begin to put pen to paper (er...key to keyboard??) as I worry that it will not turn out as it needs to. I've three pages written and consider them all absolute crap. Which ultimately compounds the fear that it will turn out to be a shitty paper. Anyways, I plan on writing it tonight and getting a second opinion from my numero uno editor tomorrow. That will give me a week for editing.

The other is a paper for historiography that is examining how historians' perceptions of the Great Plague of London in 1665 have changed over time. That should be a breeze considering that the majority of the sources for my SMP come from 1665.

Two more papers are due after the break (one on the politics of water in the Jordanian River Basin that examines the potentiality of a treaty of international cooperation in order to preserve the dwindling water supply, the other an analysis of my plowzone unit in Archaeology), but this isn't as worrisome since I will use the break to get them done.

Other than that, things have been going splendidly here. Much better than usual, I must admit, although I shall not say why here.

Today marks 6 weeks since I turned in my application to King's. Two more weeks of waiting! I'm off to DC for Lebanese with some friends and then spending the night partying like a rockstar...by writing my terrorism paper. Such is the life of a college senior who hopes to get a 4.0 this semester. It's a tough life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment