09 June 2010

Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now

Day 3 of my internship and I have already worked 28 hours. This internship is more than a full time job, it seems to be a way of life. Indeed, when I left today at 5:30, I was one of the first to leave, despite having gotten there at 8:40. Yesterday, I was at the consulate until well past 7. That said, it is interesting work and I feel like it is going to be an amazing experience.

For those who do not know, I am spending my summer in Edinburgh, Scotland working at the US Consulate. Each morning, I get up at 6:45AM, eat breakfast, get dressed, and make the 2 mile walk to the Consulate from where I am living near the Royal Veterinary School. I usually spend the morning writing the press roundup which consists of summarizing recent developments in the Scottish and UK political sphere. Then it is on to other tasks that I've been assigned, the largest of which is, at the moment, helping to organize the 4th of July party taking place (somewhat inconveniently) on my 22nd birthday. At times it is stressful, but I'm really enjoying it

These past few days have shown me that I really need to learn how to cook. The meals I am making myself consist of sandwiches (bread, hummus, cheese, chicken, lettuce), carrots, and soup. Perhaps next week I will be more ambitious when it comes to flexing my culinary muscle (that is woefully underdeveloped). Although I must say, hummus sandwiches are very good. They make an excellent alternative to mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment