02 March 2010

Lessons learned in senior year: (Particularly this senior's year)
1. Nothing is ever easy. A semester that looks easy on the surface will probably end up resulting in death or, at the very least, emotional and mental distress.
2. SMPs are the worst idea ever.
3. Self-set 'deadlines' always are ridiculously idealistic and usually mean at least a day later. If not more.
4. Epiphanies can take place in the shower.
5. SMP = death of mind, body, and soul. Dante should have created a special circle of hell just for the SMP.
6. My SMP makes me feel as if I do, in fact, have the plague. And it is more effective than the quarantine imposed in the early modern period as it successfully isolates me from the rest of society, both well and infected (aka: other SMP-undertaking seniors).
7. It is possible to work on the SMP until 1am, sleep until 6am, go to the gym for an hour, and survive 8 hours at the lab (plus however many more it takes until I finish this chapter, my bio lab, and my bio literature evaluation).
8. Today (or, rather, yesterday) was my two-month anniversary with my boyfriend. Thank god for him, because no matter how terrible my day is, just seeing him is all it takes to bring a smile to my face and cause the sun to shine a little brighter. (How terribly cliche!) I don't think he reads this (or at least I hope he doesn't as he will then find out how truly odd I am), but if he does: just know that you take my stress away like nothing else does, even the gym (*gasp* A crazy idea, right!?!). I could never have made it through this semester without you.

I suppose I am complaining only because my SMP rough draft (all of it) is due on March 11. 10 days away. But, that is just the entire thing. I am currently (or, was...and soon will be back to) writing my third chapter. Presumably by the end of today, I will have thirty pages.

On a lighter note, spring break is in 11 days; I find out my Oxford results in 18 days; Maryland Day (and the Mackall barn launch) is in 27 days; and graduation is in 74 days.

Also: I will be raising funds for Haiti during spring break by 'running for Haiti'. I will be tracking the number of miles that I run between March 15 and March 29, in the hopes that people will sponsor me for each mile I run. If you can donate even just .10 cents a mile, it will add up. At the completion, I plan on sending the money to a charitable organization (probably not Red Cross though, as I've heard that the misdirection of funds has been awful during this crisis). I'll be tracking my progress, and blogging about international aid/development/updates in Haiti on another blog: http://runforhaiti2010.blogspot.com.

Update @ 9:51PM: Been in the library now for close to 4 hours. Have 5 pages (more or less) with the outline potential for a further 6 or 7. I hope to leave here at 11 or 12 so that I can go to bed by 1, wake up at 6 to do my biology lit eval and lab, and then go to work at 7:30. I feel like a poster child for what not to do during your senior year. I feel like my very soul is dying. That said, once this is done I will be the happiest person alive. So here's to hoping that I get this done very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment