16 April 2010

Trust me, I will be there when you need me

1 final, 1 SMP presentation, 1 conclusion, and 1 internship paper are all that separate me from graduation. All of that and 29 days, which is rather unbelievable considering that the last time I was actively counting down, we were still in the triple digits. As inconceivable as it may seem at moments, time does pass. The seconds are slipping away as I write this, never to be regained or relived. A sobering thought to be sure.

I wish that I could say that I am actively looking forward to graduation. Unfortunately, this is not the case. For the first time in my life, I am content. Well, perhaps not content with the workload, the insomnia, and the stress, but I am content with the people around me and the setting that I am in. To leave when I've found some semblance of balance and normalcy seems a shame. At the same time, I realize that I have moved past St. Mary's. Undergraduate is over. The lessons that I was meant to learn have been duly noted. To live is to change and, in this case, change means moving on. In 40-something days (for this is the day that I leave for three months in the UK), I move on to different things. Different location, different people, different job, different experiences. The thought is both terrifying and exhilarating. Earlier this month, it would have dampened my mood considerably to think about it. However, recent events have resulted in the assurance of at least some stability, and for this I have no words to express my relief and gratitude.

On a more lighthearted note, World Carnival starts tomorrow. Two days of fun and merriment will hit campus as bands, dance troupes, and various forms of entertainment descend upon St. Mary's to take our minds off of the impending doom of finals. I certainly intend to let it take my mind off of the end of semester. Saturday morning I am running in a 5k to raise money for hospice in St. Mary's before heading back to campus to staff the Phi Alpha Theta table for three hours. We are raffling off items to raise money to send Gambian children to school. As for Saturday night...we shall see what the future holds. I fully intend to enjoy my World Carnival. :)

Other announcements:
Presentation date for my SMP Living Truths in Dying Times: A Social Examination of Plague in Early Modern England: Monday, May 3rd, 9:30-10:30AM, Kent Hall, St. Mary's College of Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment