24 September 2009

"And atte rotte aboue: hyt haþe the vertue of the celestial bodyes, the whiche þe spirite animal be corrumped in hymselff, and of this speke Avicenna, the iiij boke. Be the forme of the ffyrmament lyttelly the bodyes be enffect, ffor the impression of the ffyrmament the aer douth corrumpe, and so the spirite be enffecte in man, and of thys seyde Avicenna in the iiij boke. Of the forme of the firmament, the bodyes likely be infectted, ffor the impression of the ffirmament corrumpe the aer, and so the spiritte dow corrumpe in man."
- "A Translation of the "Canutus" Plague Treatise" by Joseph Pickett in Popular and Practical Science of Medieval England, edited by Lister Matheson (East Lansing: Colleagues Press, 1994).

And this is some of the stuff that has actually been translated for me! Don't even get me started on the Latin translations! One year of Latin simply does not suffice, but I am muddling through the best I can. Learning on the job, I suppose.

It is no wonder that I am exhausted after hours of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment